Thursday, October 16, 2008

Safari Time?



It’s a lot harder to write than I thought that it would be. I’m so used to being surrounded by computers all the time that are connected to the internet that I have come to take it for granted. In order to post anything, I must first take the computer out of the safe, find the adaptor so that I don’t short circuit the computer, plug it in, and try to be very quiet since everyone else in the room is still sleeping. It’s 6:14 am here in Guanzhou, but in Orlando it’s 6:14 pm on Thursday. I hope that you all have been having a great week.

Yesterday we went on a Safari. It takes a lot longer to get anywhere here because the roads are all one way. There is usually a huge barrier between the two lanes so you frequently have to drive past where you want to go, do a U-turn and drive back. It’s frustrating, especially on the way back when Isaac was hungry and didn’t want a cold bottle. He likes his food hot! He finally got so frustrated that he decided to take a cold bottle.

Back to the Safari, the best way to describe it is like Disney’s Animal Kingdom only better. I cost 150 Yuan, which for the people here is similar to a Disney ticket for us, but is only about $22 US dollars. They have lots of shows about the animals, but we just walked around and took a tram-like thing through the safari. There were so many animals and we got so close! I got some wonderful pictures of lions, hippos, pandas, bears (brown & black), tigers (white and gold), giraffes, wilder beasts, camels, and a lot of animals that I don’t remember the names of.

After the safari ride we were able to walk through lots of exhibits. Isaac and I got our picture taken with a white tiger cub. I got to feed the cub a bottle and we got several pictures. It was 30 Yuan (about $5). When we walked through the panda exhibit we were only about 6 feet away from these beautiful creatures! (I hope that I can figure out the web Picasso picture sharing thing so that you can see my pictures. I think you can search them by my name Gretchen Stopyra, but I’m not sure. I tried to get the Picasso album to post the other day and it didn’t work on this blog. So maybe you can search it apart from the blog because I have some awesome pictures of the animals from the safari.)

Today we will travel to Dongguan City to visit Isaac’s orphanage. There are over 8 million people in the city where he is from. The guides all have told his that his orphanage is the #3 orphanage in China and that it is very wealthy and that they even have a hospital where they are able to perform surgeries on the children. I also learned that China’s lottery system goes to support the orphanages. I am going to try to get a picture of how they do the lottery when I’m in the market. It’s really quite remarkable and I don’t know how anyone would ever know if they won anything.

Well the alarm is awake! Everyone’s day has begun. I hope that I can post more later on today after we visit Dongguan.

1 comment:

Laurie said...

Love the panda picture- how cute! Issac is just adorable- tell us more about how he's doing- how is he adjusting? Is he a happy little boy? I can't wait to hear your impressions of the orphanage!