Saturday, January 15, 2011

The Silk Factory 1/15

The silk factory was the highlight of the day!!!  It was nice and WARM!!  Ahhhh.  It was pretty cool to see how they make the silk.  There are several steps.  I also learned that some cacoons have one worm in them and those are the ones they use to make the silk threads that we get clothes from.  Other cacoons have two worms in them, and their threads intertwine, you can't split them up and they use them to make comforters and fillers.  It's really quite the process.  I even got to help do one layer of a comforter.(picture 0404)  They have anywhere from 1000 - 3000 layers of silk.  I almost bought one, but I didn't have enough cash with me or my credit card because the safe wouldn't open before we left so I had some money, but not as much as I wanted. I bought a purse/diaper bag for Aryn's stuff and some a couple gifts.  Mom had Isaac and Aryn's names written on silk in the Chinese Characters.  We have Aryn's name in red and Isaac's name in yellow, the lucky colors for China.  Isaac got yellow because that is his favorite color, as I learned today the color of the emperor.  I'm sure the empress had a color but in my freeze induced state at the Forbidden City I missed that.  So she gets red because it is pretty, and the two colors together are "China."  I want to have them framed and displayed together somewhere in the house.... I had a great time at the silk market.  It was so cool!!  [...and not just because it was warm :o)]

1 comment:

Julie said...

We had the total opposite weather! We were sweating so much you can actually see how wet our shirts are in the pictures! NASTY! There has to be a happy medium. :)